David.Gettman December 12th, 2007
SECOND UNITED STATES CAVALRY – A HISTORY
Compiled, edited and published by Historical Section, Second Cavalry Association
Maj. A. L. Lambert and Cpt. G. B. Layton, 2d Cavalry
On 1 Jan. 1946 the Second Cavalry officially assumed duties as the District Constabulary, Eastern Military District (Third Army Area).
The Constabulary was viewed as a potential elite force, dependent on the highest caliber personnel and efficient communications network. Its mission was that of maintaining general military and civil security and assisting in the accomplishment of the objective of Military Government in the U. S. occupied zones by means of an active patrol system backed by a mechanized striking force in reserve. Continue Reading »